Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cosette Beth Bennett

Our sweet baby girl arrived!

Cosette Beth Bennett was born on November 20, 2010 at 4:10pm at the St. Marks Hospital in Murray Utah.

Here is the story of getting this beautiful girl here...

I feel pretty fortunate because I don't get a lot of crazy pregnancy-related pain; no swelling, or stretch marks, or heartburn... so, besides the 3 months of being deathly ill and not being able to eat anything, pregnancy isn't so bad! =)



At about 35 weeks I was having contractions every 12 minutes for 3 hours straight. We were at dinner in Salt Lake at Michael's Dad's house with all the family and just before we were about to leave the contractions started. Once we got in the car I started timing them... 12 minutes apart and getting uncomfortable. Michael and I were defenitely worried about having a preterm baby and wanted to be sure that if I really was going into labor that we would be able to get to the hospital in time to slow everything down and not have the baby yet.

We considered stopping at the hospital, but decided to head home to Lehi and possibly go into the Timpanogos Hospital in Orem; that way we could drop off Lance and Afton to Jennifer's house which is only a few minutes away. We got home to the Love Lane house, got the kids in bed, and I was still contracting. The pain was getting more intense, still 12 minutes apart, and with a lot of pressure... this baby was trying to escape!

I said a prayer and asked the Lord to let me know if we should go into the hospital. It was getting close to midnight and if we decided to go it would be a long night for all of us. I prayed that I would have a peaceful feeling if we didn't need to go in and our baby was okay. I felt at peace. I didn't hardly sleep all night because I wrote down the time with each contraction, but after about 3 hours the contractions started to slow to 20 minutes apart, then 30, then 50, then 2 hours... until they finally stopped. I felt so grateful that Heavenly Father heard and answered my prayers. I scheduled an appointment with my OB for that next morning to make sure I wasn't dialating and didn't need to go on bed rest (which I thought I might) and everything looked perfect. All of that contracting, pain, and pressure didn't cause any changes that would put the baby at risk so I was told to continue on as normal. What a blessing!

I made it through the next month and was SO anxious for her to come and kept thinking that she would come on her own before my scheduled induction on Friday November 19th. With my other 2 pregnancies I felt great right up until the very end but with this baby I was pretty uncomfortable during the last 2 weeks. It was difficult to sleep, and the baby was really low. I could regularly feel her little hands pushing down like she was trying to get out... impatient little girl! =) At one of my last appointments while my OB, Dr. Watts, was checking to see how dialated I was he got a confused look on his face and he took about twice as long as normal to do the check.

"Is everything alright?" I asked
"Yes, everything is fine," he said. "I was just trying to feel the top of your baby's head but there was something in the way. It was her fingers."

My baby's little fingers! Wow! I knew that was what I had been feeling! Ha!



Everything was ready for our little baby to arrive. I cleaned the house, got all the wash done, hospital bag packed for Michael, the baby and I, bags packed for Lance and Afton to hang out with their grandparents while we were in the hospital, car seat washed and ready to go... I was READY to have this baby! Wednesday the 17th I got a call from Dr. Watts. He told me that we had to move my induction to Saturday instead of Friday... No! I was so disappointed. It's only one day, but it's crazy how disappointed I was. I didn't want to have one more uncomfortable, sleepless night without my baby in my arms! But I guess I have to wait... Saturday it is.

We decided to make the best of the extra day and Michael and I dropped Lance and Afton off to my parents to sleep and we headed up North. We decided to sleep and Dad and Debbie's house so we would be 15 minutes away from the hospital instead of an hour away at my parents (which was the original plan). We picked up a free entertainment center that I found on ksl.com and headed up to the Park City Outlets and use our $50 gift certificates, that we got for $25!I guess if I can't have my baby getting free furniture, shopping, and spending time with my husband is a good runner-up. =)

I was told to call into St. Mark's Hospital at 6:00am on Saturday and ask if we could come in. The lady I spoke to a few days earlier said that they almost always have their induction patients come in as soon as they call, but on rare occassions they have too many ladies come in the middle of the night and they have to push the scheduled deliveries back.

I couldn't sleep that night. I was too anxious and excited and uncomfortable. I kept dreaming that I missed my alarm. I bet I looked at my phone to check the time at least once an hour. 6:00am finally came. I called in excitedly, ready to hear them tell me to come in right away. They told me that all the rooms were full and to call back at 8:00am. EIGHT O'CLOCK! No! I haven't really slept in weeks, and definitely didn't sleep last night, I was supposed to have my baby yesterday, and now they are telling me I have to wait another 2 hours! Ah! I politely thanked the nurse and said I would call back at 8:00am.



Michael was soundly sleeping and I knew I would just toss and turn in bed for 2 hours and wake him up, so I decided to shower and get ready. After I took my time in the shower to try to kill some time I laid back down on the couch and tried to relax. 7:45am. I can't wait another minute. I call in again. The same nurse answers the phone and tells me that we still can't come in yet. She writes down my cell phone number and says that if she hasn't called me by 10:00am that I should call back. I take a deep breath. "Thank you, I'll be sure to call at ten" I say.

I sit back on the couch. Wow. Things sure haven't gone the way I thought they would. But it could be much worse. I'll just wait patiently until 10:00am and call again.

At about 9:00am the nurse calls back and tells us to come in at 9:30am! Hooray! I am so excited and wake Michael up. I make both of us some eggs-on-toast for breakfast, get our bag together and head out the door.



When we check in the nurse asks me,
"You haven't eaten or drank anything today, right?"
"Right," I say.

Wheew... I got through lie #1... hopefully they won't ask me that again. Now, the only reason I DID eat breakfast and DID lie to the nurse was because my OB told me to. He specifically said, "the nurses at the hospital will ask when the last time you ate or drank was. Eat breakfast and tell them you didn't. You'll need your energy for the delivery."

"Good," says the nurse, "because the reason you got to come in this morning is because we just sent away a girl who ate a big breakfast this morning."
poor girl who got sent away, but at least I'm finally here!

Ah! I totally ate too, but only because of orders from my doctor!

We got checked in, into the labor and delivery room and all set up. Gown on, IV in, monitors attached, and ready to go. Everything went really well. The doctor came in and broke my water a couple of hours later and a few hours after that we had our baby girl!

3 comments:

  1. Oh CONGRATULATIONS Camille! I've got to come see this cute little babe! I'm glad everything went well, although the waiting game is never fun. Every hour of your pregnancy near the end is torture. I hope you're doing well and getting SOME sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations to you all! we'd love to bring you guys dinner sometime next week so we can catch up and meet your sweet new baby! i'll call to set up a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille!!! Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl! What a story! So glad you didn't go early! Truly a blessing. So grateful to hear everything went well and she is here safely!

    ReplyDelete