
Mommy - "Now Lance it's time to be a big boy, the nurse is going to come back in and give you and Afton a shot."
Lance - "I'll be SO brave Mommy. I won't even cry."
Mommy - "It's okay if you cry Lance, just try to be brave and hold still, okay?"
Lance - "I won't even cry Mommy, I won't even cry."
The nurse comes back in the room.
Nurse - "Alright, who should go first?"
Lance - (Bravly) "I will."
Mommy - (Worried and impressed) "Okay Lance..."
Lance let me sit him up on the table, and let the nurse get his little leg ready for the poke. He sat very still and quietly waited.
Mommy - "Just look at Mommy and hold my hands. You're so tough. You're such a big boy Lance."
The nurse gave him the shot and... no crying, no whining, not even a peep! Wow! Lance's little eyes just started tearing-up, but he didn't even cry. He made a "I'm in pain" face (which he later showed Daddy... very funny after-the-fact)but was so BRAVE! I really couldn't believe it! My little 3 year old was such a brave little man!
Lance - (Smiling and choking back the tears) "I did it Mommy! I didn't even cry!"
He was so proud of himself for doing what he said he would do. I was so impressed with his courage and gave lots of hugs and kisses to my big boy.
I know it seems silly, but when the nurse asked who would go through the pain first and Lance bravely said, "I will.", it reminded me of our Savior and how he stepped forward for all of us. He courageously agreed to take on all of our sins so that we wouldn't have to suffer eternally for our own sins.

I think that children are so much more like the Savior than we realize sometimes. Their unconditional love, innocence, ability to forgive. The light that shines through their eyes, and their pure intentions. All these are atributes of Christ which we all born with.

One of my (many) goals as a mother is to help my children retain these wonderful characteristics. It won't be easy, but I'm going to try my best.

Camille, you are such a wonderful mom and amazing person. I think you are so Christ-like! I love to read your stories; your kids are darling. I'm glad life is going well! Love ya.
ReplyDelete