Sunday, December 7, 2008

12.06.08 - Santa Clause

Santa Clause is coming to town! Actually, he already came and will be coming again a few times before the big day!



Michael and I were invited to a Christmas party by his co-worker and friend Jason Peterson. They hosted a beautiful dinner and Santa came to give candy canes to the children and let them sit on his knee. Last year last was scared of Santa and wouldn't get too close... but this year he wouldn't even stand in line (like the other children were) to wait his turn... he just jumped right to the front and started reaching for the candy (surprise, surprise).



Santa came AGAIN at Michael's work Christmas party at the Country Club. The theme for the party was "ugly sweater" so we all wore the ugliest sweaters we could find (thank you John and Christine for letting us borrow your great finds)! Santa came and gave all the children presents (thank you Brady and Terri for your generosity) and we had a gingerbread building contest! It was a lot of fun.



Although Santa Clause is fun I think it’s important to teach Lance the real reason we celebrate Christmas. We have been setting up our Christmas decorations and have out 16 foot tree (which I am so proud of… ksl.com purchase for $150) Nativity and other holiday decor. I was setting up the Nativity and explaining to Lance that at Christmas we celebrate baby Jesus’ birthday. And just like when other people have a birthday and get presents, on baby Jesus’ birthday everyone gets presents!





I pointed out each of the people in the Nativity and Lance wanted to hold them all and play with them. He especially liked the baby Jesus figurine and the animals.



He picked up the baby Jesus and said, “Happy… to you, Jesus?”
“Yes Lance,” I said, “it’s baby Jesus’ birthday on Christmas.”
Then he started singing the Happy Birthday Song to the baby Jesus figurine while holding it close to his face and hugging it. It was so adorable. He has actually done this a few times this week and every time I am so happy because I really want him to remember that we are celebrating Jesus and all He did for us.

Earlier this week I said to Lance, "Baby sister is going to come out of my tummy soon!" He looked at my tummy, pulled up my shirt, and started yelling, "Baby sisser COME OUT!"

It was too cute and really funny. It's so interesting to think about what must be going through his little head when in comes to stuff like pregnancy. It must be so strange to him. =)

Another fun thing that happed this week is that Lance officially knows his sisters name. We usually just refer to her as "baby sister" but I have told him that her name is Afton. The other day Becca asked Lance, "What is your baby sister's name?"
He said, "Afin Bennett."

I was so surprised because first of all he knows her name is Afton, and secondly he knows that her last name is the same as his! For a two year old who has never been told I thought it was pretty impressive. I also think it's cute that his mispronounces her name... he's going to be a great big brother. =)

3 comments:

  1. Darling! Lance is going to be such a good big brother. He is so much fun. Hilarious about the line for Santa. Glad he grew out of the anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is one tall Christmas tree!! Your little boy sounds like he is going to be an excellent big brother. He sounds like a smart one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lili just loves the baby Jesus figure in our nativity too. She is constantly rearranging the pieces, it is so interesting to see what she thinks it should look like. One night, we walked in to find her making Mary and Joseph kiss!

    ReplyDelete